Board Certified in Internal Medicine
Please see the “Guidelines” section.
- Know the differential for this condition
- Know how to approach a patient with this condition.
- Know basic signs, symptoms, and treatment of other medical conditions in the differential.
- Harrison’s chapter on Edema.
- Also, review other “student slides” below. Know the differential and work-up algorithm!
Please use the text of your choice, e.g., UpToDate, Step-up to Medicine, Harrison’s, etc.
- Pathophysiology of Edema
How to present a SOAP note for outpatient and general medical and surgical ward (excluding ICU): Read more of this post
Fluid balance and Hyponatremia Read more of this post
- There are no writing assignments for the students. We want students to do what they are supposed to do – read and have fun!
- The students who have been assigned a topic will only have to get together with the presenter to give their input about the topic and format. This may also entail going over a topic from the presentation. Slides will be provided.
- Please read the topic beforehand.
- All students are expected to be logged in via Zoom, including the ones attending the meeting in person.
- All students are expected to participate and answer questions in the text box via Zoom.
- Download/log in to MDCalc.com | Apple | Android
Format of presentation:
- An introductory case that proceeds to show how to approach the symptom, including,
- Differential diagnosis
- Approach to the problem
- Short cases
- Long cases
- Questions and discussion
All students are expected to be logged in via Zoom (even the ones attending the meeting in person).
All students are expected to participate and answer questions via Zoom.
Generally geared toward applying the above knowledge to diagnose various conditions in the differential diagnosis and its basic treatment.
Generally geared toward applying the above knowledge to treat various conditions.
Questions and discussion:
Simple steps to work up hypercalcemia:
- If PTHi high then follow work up for Hyperpaprathyroidism
- If PTHi normal then order
24 hour urine calcium and creatinine (Fractional excretion of Calcium)
SPEP, UPEP, Serum light chains
25-hydroxy Vitamin D
1,25 hydroxy Vitamin D (consider lymphoma, sarcoid, TB)
- Other rare cause